Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Passing Of Time

My Ideal Girl Friend

What is she like? She is everything I wish I were. She has a wonderful sense of humor, which is very important, and she has a good disposition. I have never seen her angry all the time I have known her. She is smart and not lazy or afraid to work. She is a wonderful athlete and is friendly with every one. When I say friendly, I don't mean with just the people she knows, but she goes out of her way to help others and make them feel as if they are not as ignorant as is sometimes implied by others.
She dresses nicely, wearing clothes that suit her, and she is very pretty. Pretty is a rather common word but it carries so much meaning that I think it is the word to use.
She was my best friend in grammar school. We called her Corky, which is a nickname for Corrinne, and is not a very common nickname. She is thin like me, and I always felt better when I was with her. She is the only child in the family, but that does not mean she is spoiled; in fact, she is just the opposite. She was raised better, and is as unspoiled as some children in a large family are spoiled. I haven't seen her for some time, but I hope to see her soon.

*****

My Ideal Boy Friend

At this particular time, I am rather glad to say, I do not have a boy friend, but I know what I would want him to be like. For one thing he would have to be mannerly.
These boys that you see going around talking loudly and, in many ways considering the girl as another boy, are rather out of line. It doesn't matter whether the boy has a lot of money, whether he can take you to the high spots or just to a show. If he is a nice boy, that is all that counts.
A sense of humor means a lot and most boys have it but not all, so if a boy expects to become an ideal boy friend that is one quality worth having. He should dress well and be neat. He doesn't have to wear expensive clothes to be nice and neat, but clean clothes, carefully kept.
This will give an idea of how my ideal boy friend has to be like. As I read it over, it strikes me as rather wishful thinking, but then every girl does a lot of wishful thinking, especially where boys are concerned.

*****

My Summers

Almost every summer since 1929 our family has spent its vacation at Chain-o-Lakes, Indiana. It's about eight miles this side of South Bend. Each summer I'd get acquainted with some people, and the next summer they'd be gone. There was always more to take their place.
There are two girls though, whom I see every summer. They are Louise Larson and Ruth Neilson. Louise lives out there, and Ruth goes out every summer the same as I do.
One summer we decided to take a hike around the lake. The lake isn't very big, but there isn't any kind of path at all leading around it so we did just what the big and famous explorers do. We broke trail. We not only broke the trail but ourselves as well. Between climbing over the bob-wire fences, rolling down hills, and being chased by cows (or so we thought, but the poor cows were just looking for more grass) we decided we had a very uneventful hike.
My brother and sister always went too, but they graduated last year so I took my cousin, Shirley Urquhart, with me. We had so much fun that we didn't want to go home. We went swimming every day, took a long walk, and we went down to the Stand (Mr. Larson runs a candy, pop, and ice cream stand) and had a lot of fun with the other girls and boys. Sometimes we went into South Bend.
This year we might not be able to go out there on account of gas rationing, but I hope we will.

No comments: